What is pregnancy? Pregnancy is one of the most magical moments experienced by a woman that is actually the road towards motherhood and parenthood. A lot of women will find it very exciting and can experience a wide range of various emotions during this period. It is also during this period where symptoms of pregnancy should be very well documented and observed, because you never know what might be a good sign and a bad sign when it comes to carrying a child. It is during this time where the body of a woman will be undergoing a lot of physical changes, especially getting a bigger and more pronounced belly. It is also during this stage, more often during the first few weeks of pregnancy or the ‘first trimester’, where a lot of the symptoms of pregnancy especially the physical uneasiness and pains take place. One of the earliest and most consistent symptoms during this period is the cramping during early pregnancy. This is fairly normal, but it is also important that the mother (and probably the partner or the husband of the pregnant woman) knows all of the different reasons why this occurrence happens, what it means and how to make it go away.
Why do people experience cramping during early pregnancy?
There are a number of reasons why women experience cramping during early pregnancy, and these are the most common reasons:
- Uterine Stretching. As the name suggests, it is during this stage wherein the uterus expands in order for it to accommodate the fetus. This is the stage wherein a woman experiences the most number of pregnancy symptoms because it is during these weeks in pregnancy where the most number of developments occur. It is very important to take note as well that during the earliest weeks of pregnancy is where the mother should be very careful and closely monitor all of the different symptoms of pregnancy because the first trimester is the most important part of the pregnancy and any developments should be reported to the attending physician so that he or she could advice you accordingly. As a side note, this condition is also known as round ligament syndrome
- Implantation cramping. Implantation cramping is a very sure way of experiencing cramping during early pregnancy, especially during the first few weeks of pregnancy, because this is the condition wherein the fertilized egg attaches to the uterus of the female. It is in this stage wherein there should be no cause of alarm when the symptoms of pregnancy occurs the most, because it is during this stage where most of the foundation of the fetus is being build and constructed inside uterus. Implantation cramping occurs as a direct result of a positive pregnancy. Now, this statement should not be confused with a symptom of being pregnant, because sometimes after intercourse a woman may be experiencing symptoms of cramping
- Miscarriage. Cramping during the first few weeks of pregnancy does not necessarily mean miscarriage, but it is more likely that miscarriage is the reason if the cramping is either: very severe; being experienced on one side of the body; or is very painful.
There are some conditions during pregnancy, such as Ectopic pregnancy, where the condition might be very dangerous to the mother and the fetus and the direct symptom might be caused by cramping only on the one side of the body. It is these symptoms of pregnancy wherein the mother should be very careful and watchful so that proper and immediate action can be undertaken in order for her life and the life of the unborn child can be saved and well taken care of.
What can cramping during early pregnancy mean?
As outlined above, there are a number of possible reasons why women experience cramping during early pregnancy stages, but what does it actually mean? A lot of women are afraid of the worst case scenario: miscarriage. Miscarriage happens due to a number of reasons, but the most alarming symptom of miscarriage is usually the experience of cramps. This is the main reason why pregnant women should be very familiar with the symptoms of pregnancy so that they will know what to do and how to react when such symptoms occur. It might be the dreaded miscarriage, but it can also be any of the reasons enumerated and explained above.
The most common cause of cramping during this very early stage is that the body is getting ready to accommodate the newly formed fetus in the body. We are all very familiar with change, and pregnancy submits the body to such radical changes or accommodating a new life that it is but normal for the body to react and make room for a new life being formed. The expansion of the belly to accommodate for the child will naturally subject the mother to a very painful ordeal, but the good thing to remember is that the change is not instantaneous and it occurs via small increments during the course of 9 months divided by three semesters. The growth spurt usually occur the largest during the second trimester, and it is therefore this reason why a lot of the cramping and pains occur during the first trimester.
Bleeding and cramping during early pregnancy
If an expecting mother knows a lot about pregnancy, then it might not come as a surprise to her that one of the symptoms of pregnancy especially during the earliest stages is the bleeding and cramping. As detailed above, it is important to monitor the cramping during the first few weeks of pregnancy but must not be the cause of alarm, even if it occurs rather suddenly and occasionally. Bleeding, on the other hand, should be the cause of concern especially if the pregnant woman is experiencing an excessive amount of discharge. This might be the cause of hormonal imbalance or miscarriage.
What to do when experiencing cramping during early pregnancy
There are a number of different things that a pregnant woman can do if she is experiencing cramps:
- Drink water to properly hydrate yourself and improve liquid circulation throughout the body
- Relax and do not panic, because stress and worry might be causing the cramps
- Perform breathing exercises such as puckering the lips and breathing exclusively through the narrowed mouth until the pain subsides
- Take medication such as Tylenol